- Meghalaya Congress is having different plans for election campaigns
- The party is focussing on laying foundations and inaugurations of projects
- Five foundations in nine days, party thinks it will have a positive impact
Meghalaya is on the verge of Assembly Elections that is due next month, though the dates are yet to be announced by the Election Commission of India(ECI), the parties of the state and even from the Centre has kick-started their election campaigns. Meanwhile, the ruling Congress party have different plans for the poll campaigning this time.
Congress introducing developmental projects
The political parties of the state and the party from the centre as well have kick-started their election campaigns as there are only few weeks left for the elections.
This includes Bhartiya Janta Party that is aiming to win 40 out of 60 assembly seats in the state and the National People’s Party(NPP) that is contesting for 50 seats.
These major parties have applied full force against the ruling Congress party in the state and even used their ace leaders during the election campaigns.
This includes BJP President Amit Shah, who visited the Tikrikilla constituency of the state early this week and the Trump Card of the party, PM Modi who visited the state in the month of December and kickstarted ‘Vijay Sankalp Rally’, the election campaign of BJP.
On the other hand, NPP has also launched its poll campaign in the various constituencies of the state with the promises of ‘New Meghalaya’ to the populace.
Providing NPP a strong ground to contest in the state, the son of veteran leader PA Sangma and NPP Chief Conrad Sangma has come up as the strong contender against the ruling party in the state.
Meanwhile, Congress party is subtle and has not even announced its list of candidates, who will contest the elections for 60 seats.
Apart from this, the party is having a different mindset this time for the election campaigning. The party, especially the incumbent Chief Minister of Meghalaya, Dr. Mukul Sangma is focussing towards the inauguration of various developmental projects in the state.
He is having a belief that these projects will have a positive impact on the mindset of the people and they will be able to see the difference between the promises made in words and the promises that are converted into actions.
In the series of inaugurations of various developmental projects, the Chief Minister cut the ribbons of various educational institutes, hostels, health care centers and lot more.
With the start of the year 2018, the Chief Minister and the ministers from the cabinet lays foundation stone of five projects in the nine days in various regions of Meghalaya.
- On January 3, the Urban and Municipal Affairs Minister Ronnie Lyngdoh, laid the foundation stone for Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development (IBSD) in Upper Shillong as the Chief Minister was busy in another event on the same day.
- The Chief Minister on the same day was present in Tura to lay the foundation for the construction of Tura Medical College at Tura Civil Hospital.
Interestingly, this was for the second time that the foundation was laid for the same project as five years ago, another foundation stone was laid for the medical college in the area under Balalgre and Jewilgre Nokmaship near Damalgre, but unfortunately, that was abandoned due to some reasons.
- On January 4, Sangma inaugurated the 2×20 MW New Umtru Hydro Electric project at Dehal in Ri Bhoi’s Byrnihat amid protests by landowners.
- On January 6, Sangma laid the foundation stone for an RCC bridge on the Ildek river, Adokgre on KDA Road in Kharkutta.
- On the same day, the Chief Advisor to the state government, DD Lapang on Tuesday laid the foundation stone for Seng Khasi Riwar Mihngi Cultural Hall in Pynursla.
- CM Sangma also laid yet another foundation stone for the construction of Pine Mount International School near Tura.
- On January 9, the Chief Minister also inaugurated the first polytechnic institute in Williamnagar situated in East Garo Hills.
During the event, the local MLA and Cabinet Minister Deborah Marak was also present.
- On the same day, Sangma’s spouse Dikkanchi Shira distributed mobile PC tablets among students of 11 higher secondary schools of South West Garo Hills under the Chief Minister’s Students Digital Learning Aid Scheme 2017-2018 at Ampati Multi-Facility Centre.
This is a unique way, the Chief Minister and the ministers of the state are trying to make a room the hearts of the people of the state.
Some of the political intellectuals who are keeping an eye on the polls and the activities related to it, relates the Chief MInister’s actions to that of the Chief Minister of Bihar, Nitish Kumar as he was too maintained his cool while the other ministers of the government of alliance in the state JD(U) including RJD Chief Lalu Yadav lashed out at the rival parties.
Same is with the Chief Minister of Meghalaya who is using a subtle way to deal with the rival parties of the state who are aiming to root out the present Congress government from the state assembly to form a new government in the state.